Friday, September 3, 2004

The followup

From Andrew Sullivan, former log cabin republican (this is just an excerpt -- you really must read the whole thing ([outdated link redacted]) here):
I CANNOT SUPPORT HIM IN NOVEMBER: I will add one thing more. And that is the personal sadness I feel that this president who praises freedom wishes to take it away from a whole group of Americans who might otherwise support many parts of his agenda. To see the second family tableau with one family member missing because of her sexual orientation pains me to the core. And the president made it clear that discriminating against gay people, keeping them from full civic dignity and equality, is now a core value for him and his party. The opposite is a core value for me. Some things you can trade away. Some things you can compromise on. Some things you can give any politician a pass on. But there are other values - of basic human dignity and equality - that cannot be sacrificed without losing your integrity itself. That's why, despite my deep admiration for some of what this president has done to defeat terror, and my affection for him as a human being, I cannot support his candidacy. Not only would I be abandoning the small government conservatism I hold dear, and the hope of freedom at home as well as abroad, I would be betraying the people I love. And that I won't do.
From ([outdated link redacted]) South Knox Bubba (see complete article here):
Tonight's message was that true compassionate government and safety nets are obsolete. It seems Bush and the GOP are ready to leave behind the past, including the Constitution, Americas position of respect around the world, and now the less fortunate among us.
([outdated link redacted]) Amy Sullivan weighs in with:
By far, the biggest cheers and ovations came when Bush denounced gay marriage (I couldn't see Cheney from where I was sitting...any television shots of him applauding that line?) and after several of the jingoistic, We-don't-answer-to-no-one statements. The folks around us were whooping and hollering at those, and starting "U.S.A." chants whenever they got the chance. I had a flashback to sitting in the middle of the football stadium at Penn State for a Michigan away game a few years ago--it's a little frightening to be that outnumbered by a rather rabid crowd.
And so, quite possibly the most meanspirited convention in recent memory ended. I realize that 1992 is well-remembered for Buchanan's disturbing speech, but what exactly were people expecting from Pat Buchanan? The hateful rhetoric this time around was launched by the likes of Rudy Giuliani and Mitt Romney and Dennis Hastert. These are the supposedly mild guys who are supposed to make the party palatable to independents, but apparently they didn't get the party memo because they were all too busy overcompensating for their moderate leanings. I honestly don't think it would have been any worse to have actual rightwingers like DeLay behind the podium.
William Saletan writes:
This was a speech all about what Bush will do, and what will happen, if he becomes president.
Except he already is president. He already ran this campaign. He promised great things. They haven't happened. So, he's trying to go back in time. He wants you to see in him the potential you saw four years ago. He can't show you the things he promised, so he asks you to envision them. He asks you to be "optimistic." He asks you to have faith.
Sorry, Dubya. No can do.

No comments: