Friday, July 29, 2005

Friday Creature

More babies! The mourning dove that lives in the bush behind my office has returned to her nest and this time she has two chicks! (I cropped the hell out of the photo to zoom in on the little guys -- if you're a photo-purist, sorry 'bout that.)
 
I'm really looking forward to spending the weekend at home for a change. It's been a while since I've had the house in order and a looong time since my inbox was caught up, so I plan on staying in for the most part, but perhaps I'll see some of you at the TennCare Vigil on Sunday evening. In the meantime, have a good weekend (don't miss the other creatures on the ark!).

5 comments:

lobbygow said...

Noice!



I've been trying to get a good shot of a Mournind Dove for weeks. I may as well quit now. You've set the standard and I don't think it will be matched.

alice said...

Thanks for the encouragement. Keep at the mourning dove - my philosophy (implied in the blog title) is that if you take enough photos, you'll eventually get a good one! Thank goodness for digital cameras! ;-D

Mike said...

Beautiful pic, Alice! You really captured the subtle coloration of the underrated mourning dove. I can't imagine that any of the "purists" could fault your technique.

Marie said...

Love the nesting shot! My Mourning Doves always look so sad. Glad to see a happy one. And, by the way, I just found a 1978 hardcopy book club version of The Stand at a garage sale. Paid a quarter-and I feel like such a theif. Couldn't help but notice that tidbit on your sidebar.

alice said...

That means a lot coming from you, Mike! Thanks.



Marie, that's the original, "short" version of The Stand, yes? What a deal! I read it every couple of summers -- it's one of a handful of books that get repeated on a regular basis...