Friday, August 5, 2005

Friday Creature

I think this is a wild turkey, but maybe someone out there can tell me for sure. I took the photo a few weeks ago in my aunt's backyard in Wheeling, WV. She's got an extensive array of birdfeeders behind her house, which stay quite busy with visitors large and small (avian and mammal!).

And to update you on the mourning dove situation: I checked the nest this morning, and indeed, both nestlings are gone.

And as always, don't forget to check out the ark!

6 comments:

smijer said...

It's a wild turkey. It'll put your Richard in the dirt.

joe said...

It'll also put your car in the shop. Lemme splane.



The wife and I were driving across the country (on I-70 at the time) and were exiting the freeway near Iowa City when all of a sudden a low-flying turkey came out of nowhere, across the strip of grass between the highway and the exit ramp (I guess it had been flying over the highway), and BLAP! into the driver's side. I had cars in front and behind, and could not evade. I stopped and looked for the poor thing, but could not find it! That was weird. Then I went and bought removable duct tape and put my side mirror back on. We're lucky the turkey didn't break glass. It hit us hard.



I drive through the Chickamauga Battlefield's north end every day, and I see turkeys there occasionally.

alice said...

Glad you were both ok, Joe! (well, all three if you want to count the bird!)



smijer... huh?

Do turkeys go for the gonads, perhaps?

Erin said...

Hey , you don't know me, but I stumbled across your blog one day and I just wanted to say that I love your photography. There are some really great pictures on here and I look foward to seeing more of them!

smijer said...

joe - I was riding shotgun on i-24 just east of moccasin bend when my then-girlfriend saw a turtle. She decided to avoid hitting it... after several rotations, the car stopped, facing traffic, with eighteen wheelers on-coming. We managed to get off the road safely, get turned around, and rejoin traffic. The turtle wasn't so lucky.



alice - it was once a slogan for the bourbon of that name, only I cleaned it up a bit.

alice said...

Erin -- thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying the photos!



smijer -- I guess I missed that slogan, but since I'm known for being remarkably oblivious to advertising, I guess it's not a surprise. I googled on the phrase, and found a recipe for a cocktail and a Sammy Hagar song...