Sunday, September 18, 2005

Proverbs 29:18

8 comments:

fletch said...

It's amazing that almost every single verse in the Bible and other religions' holy books that offer wisdom on how to conduct your life, personal and national affairs, is violated so blatantly and flagrantly by those in power, while they claim to be the "people of faith". The very term "people of faith" if you think about it, is exclusionary, divisive, and bigoted, as if others who don't share their narrow and fearful belief system are immoral and Godless. The very core of their belief system is based on fear, fear of God, fear of the devil, fear of gays, fear of Muslims, fear of sex, fear of death, fear of life. Ok, sorry for the rant. Your Biblical reference sums up the situation well.

bobw said...

yes, we all violate God's word all too often, but I submit that if you're not even attempting to be a person "of faith" that it's a little hard to really know what the "core of their belief system" really is.

alice said...

"Ye shall know them by their fruits." (Matthew 7:16)



Quite frankly, I've learned that if someone introduces himself to me as a christian, I should immediately brace myself for the scam...

fletch said...

boy bobw, you're post proves my statements about condemning others outside your beliefs more than anything I could possibly say. Thanks. It's really not hard at all to see hatred, fear, and bigotry in others and yourself when you really try.

alice said...

OTOH, I know many very honorable Christians who never needed to inform me of their faith because I can see it in everything that they do.

bobw said...

I am sorry that I have offended you. I think I can see better from your perspective now. please allow me to clarify my point a bit.



I'm trying to get at the idea that it's really difficult to know the essence of a religion that you do not participate in. yes, I'm a Christian, and hopefully I know a bit about the core of my religion (which I would say would be Jesus Christ), but I surely dont know much about hinduism, atheism, etc. assuming that you're not a Christian, I thought it a bit presumptuous on your part to declare the essence of Christianity. but as I think about it, perhaps you're just reporting your observations.



the term "of faith" is certainly a slippery one (and so is "Christian" for that matter), and such things are difficult to discuss in this medium. I am saddened that you think I'm a hateful, fearful, bigoted person (and a little mystified that you'd reach those conclusions to quickly), but yes, the depths of my heart are as dark as any other.



I always enjoy discussions on religion (tho not so much for politics) if you're ever near Greyfriars.

fletch said...

When the phrase "people of faith" is used in today's vernacular, it generally means a sect, or cult if you will, of fundamentalist Christians that now exert enough power over our government that the President will interrrupt a vacation in Crawford and return to Washington to sign a bill passed by Congress in one day for one brain dead person. Just imagine if that same power was used to make the President return to Washington a little faster if a hurricane were to wipe out a major US city and kill thousands, or if that power were used to end a useless war in one day that has killed thousands in Iraq in order to establish a fundamentalist Muslim theocracy. These "people of faith" do not even include other Christian denominations in their little club, much less those of other religions. So the definition of this phrase is where we crossed, and I assumed everyone knows who these code words refer to. If they called themselves fundamentalist Christians I wouldn't have a problem, but when they refer to themselves as "people of faith" they don't include Hindus, Buddhists, Muslims, Catholics, etc. which in my view are people of faith also.

I was raised in a fundamentalist church in a fundamentalist family so I guess I've attempted to be a person of faith, and I can say for certainty that in my experience, the entire belief system and world view of these "people of faith" is based in fear. "People of fear" is a more accurate description. Ok, don't want to eat up Alice's blog with these type discussions as they can go on forever. I'm no longer in Chattown but feel free to email me.

bobw said...

ahh, I see now. I dont get out much when it comes to politics, so I didnt know that particular meaning of "people of faith." mixing politics and religion usually makes me ill.