Saturday, October 22, 2005

Friday Creature

I was out watering the plants in the garden on Thursday and I heard a sound I haven't heard in a while: the unmistakable drumming of our neighborhood piliated woodpecker. I dropped the hose and ran inside for my camera after I spotted him settle on his favorite telephone pole, but he flew off moments after I stumbled back outside. I've been trying to get a good picture of that bird (those birds, really), for about two years now. Only once have I seen one close enough so that I didn't need a good telephoto lens to get a decent shot (and -- wouldn't you know it -- I didn't have my camera with me at that particular moment). I saw two of them together early this summer -- an adult and a juvenile -- hanging out on that same telephone pole. While I continue to stalk this awesome bird, here are a few shots that I've taken so far (I think these all date back a few months). I'm afraid this is as good as I'll get until I can invest in some serious photographic equipment, but I'll keep trying...

In other news, sorry about the Saturday Friday Creature, but Chattablogs has been down since some time late Thursday. Hopefully, it's not too late to get on this week's Friday Ark.

UPDATE: I'm working on the photo. Apparently not all of Chattablogs is working properly yet...

No comments: