Thursday, March 23, 2006

Is Abortion Murder?

Via smijer comes a continuation of the consistency debate (which includes a great chart!).

A lot of people who favor forced childbirth for pregnant women say that they believe that an abortion, even early in pregnancy, is identical to child murder. Have an abortion, shoot a four-year-old in the head; morally, it's the same. Or, anyhow, that's what they claim to believe.

In contrast, pro-choicers tend to think that the abortion criminalization movement is motivated by a desire - perhaps an unconscious desire - to punish women for having sex.

I used to reject that latter view as a pointless ad hominem attack. Nowadays, I'm not so sure.

I think it is good that we're having this debate, because if the states that are currently trying to criminalize abortion succeed, we're going to have to figure out how to punish all these evil women and the doctors, partners, parents and friends who participate in their crimes.

4 comments:

glen said...

Lies, Damn Lies, And Statistics

So when they punish women for sex, who gets to throw the first stone ?

stelmodad said...

ad hominem is yucky, but hominy is lovely.

alice said...

Spoken like a true southerner!



(When I was a kid up north, we had cream of wheat instead -- I didn't have the pleasure of hominy until I moved down here -- but I like grits much better, especially with a pat of butter and a bit of black pepper...)

stelmodad said...

It's good to hear that my Southerness is growing (been here 17 years and all), but my love of hominy was born in the corn fields of Indiana.



We never ground it and ate it as grits, but rather whole as a side dish to a dinner meal. Quick breakfasts were for cream of wheat or oatmeal.



Since living in Dixie, I've learned to like fresh grits and their Italian brother polenta.