Here's something you don't see every day: a thrasher, out in the open, perched in a tree. Usually they're slogging through the detritus under the hedges. But everyone needs a break, and it's nice to take in the lay of the land once in a while.
It's been storming here in East Tennessee for a couple of days now, and today promises more of the same. But the weekend is looking like it has some potential, fortunately, as it's already filled up with all sorts of events (apparently now that we have Easter out of the way, everybody wants to get busy!). Have a good one (and until it's here, give yourself a few minutes to take in some of the critters at the Ark)!
It's been storming here in East Tennessee for a couple of days now, and today promises more of the same. But the weekend is looking like it has some potential, fortunately, as it's already filled up with all sorts of events (apparently now that we have Easter out of the way, everybody wants to get busy!). Have a good one (and until it's here, give yourself a few minutes to take in some of the critters at the Ark)!

3 comments:
I got to watch a thrasher last spring, jumping back and forth in a pile of fallen leaves at the edge of the woods. What suprised me is how close it let me get and it didn't fly away. It was as brave as a chickadee.
Great picture, Alice. I love the Friday Creature segment at your blog- if I haven't told you lately.
Nice! The brown thrasher is Georgia's state bird by the way, in case someone asks.
You are a true font of information, Fletch! I wasn't aware of that, but I am aware -- thanks to the Tennessee Blue Book (which you can get just by asking for it) -- that Tennessee's state bird is the mockingbird, and our official game bird is the bobwhite quail.
And thank you both for the encouragement.
(Chad, I think Friday Creature is my favorite part of the blog -- it keeps me actively taking photos, and it gives me an excuse once a week to just post a picture... if I'm not in the mood to say much, I don't have to! Plus, it forces me off of politics at least once a week, which I suspect is appreciated by at least a number of chattabloggers!) ;-)
Post a Comment