I ran across a couple of film trailers this weekend, both of which offer glimpses at very promising movies:
The first came to me via email (I don't know if the sender was conscious that I'd get it on Easter or not): The God Who Wasn't There. The movie premiered last May and has been available on DVD since last summer, but somehow I managed to miss it. The reviews are quite good, for the most part. [Note: the film is currently being used in the War on Easter (why does Bill O'Reilly egg these people on?, you ask?!?).]
The second trailer is for what looks like a visually stunning and beautiful film about a very serious topic, and comes via Sandy at hamdems.org. Al Gore says in An Inconvenient Truth that "our ability to live is what's at stake." The film is due in theatres on Wednesday, May 24th and I think it could end up being one of the big documentaries of the summer. It blew people away at Sundance, and the trailer has a lot of energy (more links at TGW).
"This is really not a political issue so much as a moral issue." -- Al Gore, former (and future?) Next President of the United States of America
The first came to me via email (I don't know if the sender was conscious that I'd get it on Easter or not): The God Who Wasn't There. The movie premiered last May and has been available on DVD since last summer, but somehow I managed to miss it. The reviews are quite good, for the most part. [Note: the film is currently being used in the War on Easter (why does Bill O'Reilly egg these people on?, you ask?!?).]
The second trailer is for what looks like a visually stunning and beautiful film about a very serious topic, and comes via Sandy at hamdems.org. Al Gore says in An Inconvenient Truth that "our ability to live is what's at stake." The film is due in theatres on Wednesday, May 24th and I think it could end up being one of the big documentaries of the summer. It blew people away at Sundance, and the trailer has a lot of energy (more links at TGW).
"This is really not a political issue so much as a moral issue." -- Al Gore, former (and future?) Next President of the United States of America
6 comments:
I tried to trackback to you, but it got a 403 error.
Ping 'http://chattablogs.com/mt/mt-tb.cgi/31240' failed: HTTP error: 403 Forbidden
I put the first movie in my Netflix queue.
I think the trackbacks to chattablogs have not been working for a long time now. Perhaps they were turned off to save on server load? I dunno. If we ever get moved to a decent server that can handle the load, perhaps they will be turned on again...
Thanks for trying!
hell yeah for the god-movie!!
Inconvenient Truth - wow... those were some powerful images, and powerful words.
The God Who Wasn't There - maybe I should hold my review until I see the movie, but I have seen the trailer, and I'm afraid the publishers were only telling one side of the story. They appear to come from the "Jesus as myth only" camp, which is a minority view even among atheist scholars. I have sympathy for the view that there was no historical Jesus, and I must admit that it cannot be ruled out that Jesus was myth only. However, one really should look at the evidence that such a person - however different than he was portrayed in the Gospels, he might have been - did walk the earth. I believe that it is stronger by a narrow margin than the alternate theory pushed by this movie.
Well, pushed is a strong term. It offers that point of view, but we have yet to see how it is presented. The fact that the view is one that doesn't get discussed very often is why the film should be interesting. I don't see any fault in only providing that singular side to the story -- I doubt any Christian churches today were offering anything other than the "Jesus has risen" story, and many, many movies have been done about the accepted Christian mythology without mentioning alternate points of view, so why would you criticize this movie for "only telling one side of the story?"
Yeah -- I think you should hold your review until you've seen the movie. Otherwise, what you're reviewing is the idea of the movie (based on whether or not you have sympathy for the view? or how popular that view is? really?), rather than the movie itself.
I enjoyed the god movie, as they like to call it. I won't weigh in on the controversy here, except to say that it is presented from the viewpoint of the author based on his experience in and out of the fundamentlist church. He provides substantial documentation.
Post a Comment