Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Throw the Bastards Out

These people have no shame.
Despite record low approval ratings, House lawmakers Tuesday embraced a $3,300 pay raise that will increase their salaries to $168,500.

The 2 percent cost-of-living raise would be the seventh straight for members of the House and Senate.

Lawmakers easily squelched a bid by Rep. Jim Matheson, D-Utah, to get a direct vote to block the COLA, which is automatically awarded unless lawmakers vote to block it.
I'll try to get a list of who voted how and post it here later... in the meantime, I've got to run...

2 comments:

Steve said...

You'd think all the k street money would be more than adequate.



But, yes, they have no shame and, I'm sure, do not think that they have been completely derelict in their constitutional duties for, well, longer than 5 years....

alice said...

There needs to be a fundamental change in the way Congress conducts itself. To serve is a privilege, but there are few people on the Hill who behave with any apparent awareness of that fact. I'm still working on getting a list of the people who essentially voted to give themselves a COLA that most of their constituents have not shared. I don't think a single one of them -- republican or democrat -- deserves to be sent back to Washington.