Saturday, July 1, 2006

Bob Corker Denies Established Science

I thought I was through being surprised at the lengths to which Bob Corker will go in his effort to suck up to the radical right wing of the Republican Party, but the news from the last week's debate of Senate candidates in Knoxville has left me shocked and amazed at how quickly and completely Bob Corker has sold out the people he wants to represent.

The president of the Knoxville League of Women Voters asked all three Republican candidates the following question last night: "The overwhelming body of reputable scientists have found that the mean temp of earth in increasing, and we that we are approaching what is known as the so called tipping point, where irreversible damage will occur to our planet and way of life. Do you agree that the scientific debate on global warming is over? If so, what steps would you support to take us back from the tipping point?"

Highlights from the Republicans' non-responsive responses follow:

Ex-Mayor Bob Corker: "You know, there are a body of scientists who think what the questioner said is true, there is a body of scientists who think that's not the case. It's just part of the changes that are taking place."

Now, it doesn't surprise me that Hilleary's and Bryant's answers pandered to their usual troglodytic audience, but the fact that a supposedly reasonable and educated man like Bob Corker would make such an ignorant and irresponsible statement is mind boggling. What should we expect next from Bob? Will he deny that the Holocaust happened? Will he start parroting "'Intelligent' Design" silliness and claim that there is no evidence for evolution? Maybe he'll start picking on minorities? Or claim that women belong at home, cooking dinner for their husbands? That homosexuals choose to be gay?
Wherever it is he turns next, I'll try not be so shocked by the depths to which this guy will sink in his effort to please the Ann Coulters and Jerry Falwells of the party. And in the meantime, we need to elect leaders who will take seriously the need for us to care for this planet. We don't have time to waste on science-denying wankers like Bob Corker.

4 comments:

Sadie Baker said...

How bout, "there is a body of scientists who think that smoking doesn't cause cancer?"



That seems like the best fit to me, ie, "there is a body of scientists who are willing to say any damnfool thing if you just pay them enough to say it."

alice said...

Exactly.

josh said...

Looking back on this post, you hit the nail squarely on the head

alice said...

Since I wrote that, I have to admit that I have continued to be shocked by the Corker campaign, even though I thought I had bottomed out in terms of my regard for our former mayor and his band of merry radicals. But their efforts stun me still -- I am shocked by what an awful candidate he has turned out to be and by how ham-fisted his campaign's efforts have been.



That commercial with his mother was just plain creepy. It took me several viewings to even figure out what the point was (maybe?) supposed to be. I was so jarred by the fact that Corker's first words in the exchange were such a bizarre non sequitur, I couldn't take in the rest of bullshit that followed without rewinding a few times...



Anyway, thanks for the kind words.