Keera sent me a link to a video this morning. It's an old Crossfire show from 1986, back when it was hosted by columnist Tom Braden and Douchebag of Liberty and potty-mouthed spittle spewer Bob Novak.
The pro-censorship guest (who descended pretty rapidly into shrill ad hominem whining) is John Lofton, who has since emerged as a "recovering Republican" and can currently be found over at The American View (advocating, ironically enough, for a "Christian America"). The anti-censorship guest is a prescient Frank Zappa, who makes a number of cogent points, filets Novak rather soundly, and demonstrates that he gets it two decades before it sinks in for most Americans:
The pro-censorship guest (who descended pretty rapidly into shrill ad hominem whining) is John Lofton, who has since emerged as a "recovering Republican" and can currently be found over at The American View (advocating, ironically enough, for a "Christian America"). The anti-censorship guest is a prescient Frank Zappa, who makes a number of cogent points, filets Novak rather soundly, and demonstrates that he gets it two decades before it sinks in for most Americans:
Can I make a statement about national defense? The biggest threat to America today is not communism. It's moving America toward a fascist theocracy, and everything that's happened during the Reagan administration is steering us right down that pipe.
2 comments:
Here's a funny coincidence for ya (TINC): I never talk about Zappa or anything, then this weekend we bandy his name about, and today on my radio there was a program about him and his music!
I couldn't resist getting the video onto my blog. I saw Zappa in August 1986 on a United flight back into Los Angeles, maybe it was the Today Show? He said children should grow free like weeds in a garden. I'm not so sure; he has my respect as a talent extraordinaire.
Post a Comment