Lost in 2004, Edvard Munch's The Scream and Madonna have been recovered, though some questions still remain about their recovery (including who will get the M&Ms?).
I got to see versions of both paintings at the Munch Museum when I was in Oslo a couple of years before the paintings were stolen (if you've ever visited our home you've no doubt noticed the copy of Nude With Red Hair we brought back with us). The Scream can be ubiquitous in the pop art world, so I suspect many people take Munch's work a bit for granted, which is a shame because there's so much to see beyond that one series. It was a relief to hear both paintings have been recovered and that they didn't sustain much damage. I hope they can go back on display soon.
I got to see versions of both paintings at the Munch Museum when I was in Oslo a couple of years before the paintings were stolen (if you've ever visited our home you've no doubt noticed the copy of Nude With Red Hair we brought back with us). The Scream can be ubiquitous in the pop art world, so I suspect many people take Munch's work a bit for granted, which is a shame because there's so much to see beyond that one series. It was a relief to hear both paintings have been recovered and that they didn't sustain much damage. I hope they can go back on display soon.

3 comments:
I sure agree that it will be great to have these back in the Munch Museum - I will probably line up to see them on one of the first days they're back...
You're so lucky to be where you'll have the opportunity to be one of the first to see them upon their return!
(nice blog, btw -- I really enjoyed taking a look at Ewoud Broeksma's work!)
Thanks Alice, you have an artist's eye. I will just say how jealous I am Bjorn and leave it at that.
Post a Comment