I'm going to have that earworm stuck in my head for the rest of the day (I call it an earworm, which is not always a bad thing, because this was a huge read-aloud book for me, both as a kid and as a parent -- Maurice Sendak still rocks my world).
Anyway, just in the knick of time (we were about to dig in), Dianne reminded me that I need to get into the habit of taking photos when I cook. Emmie is feeling a bit under the weather this week, so I made some soup to send to her in her dorm. Chicken soup is a remarkable thing. G-Dog and I spend a surprising amount of time talking and thinking about chicken soup... it can be just plain yummy, curative (G-Dog swears by its therapeutic value), or prophylactic (when we're feeling fine, but people all around us are falling apart). I like making it because it's a very improvisational soup. I don't use a recipe -- I cook up between 12 and 18 cups of broth and then toss in some stuff, depending on the purpose of the soup. If it's intended to comfort someone with a fever or recovering from digestive suffering, I leave it at a basic broth with a bit of chicken and starch (pasta or rice). If it's for someone who has some kind of respiratory distress, I'll ad a bit of extra onion and garlic, to help clear the head. If I'm cooking just for the sake of a good soup, I'll had fresh herbs from the herb garden (which is currently dodging the cold air in the laundry room) and some yummy fresh veggies, depending on what I have on hand. Every time I make it, it's a little bit different, but always a comfort, if I do say so myself.
Anyway, just in the knick of time (we were about to dig in), Dianne reminded me that I need to get into the habit of taking photos when I cook. Emmie is feeling a bit under the weather this week, so I made some soup to send to her in her dorm. Chicken soup is a remarkable thing. G-Dog and I spend a surprising amount of time talking and thinking about chicken soup... it can be just plain yummy, curative (G-Dog swears by its therapeutic value), or prophylactic (when we're feeling fine, but people all around us are falling apart). I like making it because it's a very improvisational soup. I don't use a recipe -- I cook up between 12 and 18 cups of broth and then toss in some stuff, depending on the purpose of the soup. If it's intended to comfort someone with a fever or recovering from digestive suffering, I leave it at a basic broth with a bit of chicken and starch (pasta or rice). If it's for someone who has some kind of respiratory distress, I'll ad a bit of extra onion and garlic, to help clear the head. If I'm cooking just for the sake of a good soup, I'll had fresh herbs from the herb garden (which is currently dodging the cold air in the laundry room) and some yummy fresh veggies, depending on what I have on hand. Every time I make it, it's a little bit different, but always a comfort, if I do say so myself.

1 comment:
Looks yummy! I love that soup is so versatile. You can shake it up each time you make it! :)
Post a Comment