Sunday, June 1, 2008

Rules and Bylaws

So, the powers-that-be at the DNC will seat delegations from Florida and Michigan with 50% voting power at the convention.

Or will they?

In August of last year, when the DNC stripped Florida of its delegates, a DNC committee member stated that "Rules are rules." But then in December, when the Committee stripped Michigan of its delegates, party leaders admitted that rules are made to be broken, allowing for the possibility of an appeal that could lead to delegate reinstatement.

Now that the DNC has reinstated the delegates, what's to stop them from changing the rules again before this is over? Should they? As Donna Brazile said yesterday, "My momma taught me to play by the rules and respect those rules. My mother taught me, and I'm sure your mother taught you, that when you decide to change the rules, middle of the game, end of the game, that is referred to as cheatin.'"

I would have left well enough alone, if for no other reason than so that the DNC would have some credibility in its future rulings.

At this point, I think the score is still Q to 12...

No comments: