This week's creature is a new one for me. I saw this out at Audubon Acres last weekend and knew it was some kind of a nuthatch, but didn't find out until I got home to my Sibley Guide that it was a brown-headed nuthatch, an increasingly rare bird found only in the Southeast US and a tiny bit of the Bahamas. According to the maps, I live on the very edge of this bird's range.
It's the last few days of February -- that and the rain we're getting today has me thinking that spring is just around the corner! Have a great weekend, filled with fun and Friday Creatures!
It's the last few days of February -- that and the rain we're getting today has me thinking that spring is just around the corner! Have a great weekend, filled with fun and Friday Creatures!


7 comments:
Great catch. I didn't know they were rare. I've seen them often at my Dad's feeder in NW Georgia, but never up in the Smokies. Here's a pic of one at my dad's feeder.
Cute little bird. Thanks for brighting my day.
Pretty bird! I'm weak for blue/brown combos, though. :-)
This post reminds me of how long it's been since I've stopped by Audubon Acres.
It's beautiful there at this time of year -- very clean and crisp!
(Great photo, fletch!)
Nothings better for a bird then a full bird feeder
Which reminds me...
Post a Comment