Saturday, July 26, 2014

Kitchen Intuition: Use-it-up soup

I’ve been traveling a lot this summer but have also been trying to keep up with my farmer’s CSA share every week, and it can be a challenge to eat all the food that is flowing into my house while it is still fresh. It’s also been challenging to find the time to cook. During my first week at home after my most recent trip, I was dismayed to look at my calendar and find that I had meetings scheduled on four of the five evenings!

This is where a good recipe-less soup comes in very handy. I can use up vegetables before they start to go bad, while also making a quick weeknight meal (or cooking ahead!). Win-win! Although there are thousands of recipes out there for vegetable soups, Food52 sets out a good basic formula: chop some aromatic vegetables (onions, garlic, chives, scallions, leeks, shallots and/or grated ginger), and cook them in some butter or oil until soft; add veggies and seasonings; cover with liquid and simmer; and then blend. It’s a quick and largely unattended process. Make a little or a lot.

Read more

No comments: