Saturday, September 6, 2014

Kitchen Intuition: Quick, healthy pasta

This brown rice and spinach pasta was tossed with olive oil, freshly ground pepper, a bit of pasta water and some grated gruetli from the Sequatchie Cove Creamery. (Photo: Alice)
I’ve been having one of those weeks where every evening I’m still scrambling to get things done when I’m supposed to be cooking dinner. I really like to cook and usually enjoy long hours spent in the kitchen, chopping and mincing and rolling and mixing. But lately, there just hasn’t been time for all that. I imagine a lot of people have been feeling the same time crunch as we all recover from the holiday break, late summer vacations and the return to school.
On those days when dinner needs to be on the table 15 minutes after I walk in the door, there’s a pretty good chance that I’m going to reach for pasta. By using some leftovers or a few pantry items, I can have a restaurant-quality meal done in the time it takes to boil the water and simmer some spaghetti. It can be different and delicious every time, and I never have to resort to using pasta sauce from a jar.

No comments: