Saturday, January 17, 2015

Kitchen Intuition: Hummus magic


My daughter sent me a recipe this week for chestnut and chickpea soup, and of course I immediately made some (because chestnuts!). I used nuts I had cooked and frozen during the height of the season, and it was wonderful soup. But while I was making it, those fragrant, simmering chickpeas got me thinking about hummus.
Hummus is magic food. It’s in season year-round (all you need are dried chickpeas); it’s quite healthy (fueling you with both protein and iron); and it can be so creamy, savory and delicious that it’s hard to believe it’s such a simple dish. Plus, it is a great bargain! Forget those tubs at the grocery store; buy some dried chickpeas and your hummus will be so much cheaper and richer (or in a pinch, you’ll still save money by making your own with canned beans). In fact, now that I think about it, hummus is so awesome that it really should be everyone’s go-to Super Bowl food.

No comments: