Saturday, June 6, 2015

Kitchen Intuition: Zoodles

I’ve mentioned zoodles (zucchini noodles) a time or two as a stand-in for pasta, but until this past week, I hadn’t yet tried making them. They’ve become very popular with those who have gone gluten-free, low-carb orpaleo, and are a good option for anyone with irritable bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome or on a low-FODMAP diet.

The idea appeals to me simply as another option for using up all the wonderful veggies in my farm share while everything is still fresh. I feel a little overrun with vegetables some weeks (not that I’m complaining—it’s a good problem to have!), and zoodles not only provide a nutritious alternative to pasta but also can be used in soups, salads, stews, casseroles or as a garnish on all sorts of dishes. And they are a quick option for weeknights, when you need to go from the door to the dinner table in a hurry. Many dinners featuring zoodles can be made in 20 minutes or less, and some are no-cook meals that would be perfect on a hot summer evening.

No comments: