Saturday, August 8, 2015

Kitchen Intuition: Longevity and Ikarian stew



Two weeks ago, when writing about gallo pinto, I mentioned Dan Buettner’s"The Blue Zones Solution," which came out earlier this year as a follow-up to the 2008 book that introduced the notion of Blue Zones (if you want an introduction to the concept, you can watch a great TED talk that Buettner did a little while after the first book came out). I still haven’t gotten all the way through both books, but I’ve been reading bits and pieces here and there whenever I’m nudged by things like my niece’s gallo pinto or a story from NPR about "top longevity foods."

This week, I ran across an article in The New York Times about a dinner that food writer Jeff Gordinier had with Buettner after they spent the better part of a day together, discussing how Blue Zones insights might apply to a New York City foodie. This got me curious about Ikarian cuisine (in the article, Gordinier spells that word "Icarian," but Buettner uses the alternative spelling in his book; they appear to be interchangeable) because in the column, Buettner claims to have seduced his girlfriend with an Ikarian stew, and in the book, he says the same stew is "hands-down" his favorite longevity recipe.

No comments: