Thursday, September 15, 2005

Response Time

Here're just a few links. It's been both a long and emotionally exhausting day. I watched Bush's speech, but I'm too tired to offer much in terms of a coherent response. In short, I don't understand the strategy -- liberals aren't going to be happy with anything that he's done no matter what, but conservatives (especially the small government/fiscally conservative variety) must be horrified by what he said. So, who is he trying to please? He has no credibility with those suffering in the Mississippi Delta -- he didn't care last week, and he probably won't care next week (not to mention the fact that Bush has a reputation for making grand promises and then killing initiatives through a lack of funding), so I doubt many people dealing with the fallout from this disaster really buy into this new trying-to-care Bush persona.

Anyway, here're just a few links that caught my attention today. I didn't really have much time at the computer away from work, so I've probably missed a lot. Feel free to fill me in using the comments! TGIalmostF!

Response to Hurricane Katrina vs. Response to 1906 Earthquake in San Francisco.

Saving Edgar Hollingsworth.

Family Dollar stores do their part.

3 comments:

Joe P. said...

Well said!

More and more, I see useful programs being torn apart and both state and personal rights are likewise left in tatters.

I'm waiting for him to announce the formation of the Department of Redundancy Department.

stelmodad said...

You are unfortunately true in your analysis that Bush promises big but then lacks the funds to deliver.

sandy said...

Ernest Hollingsworth passed away yesterday, here is the story from AP. Rest in Peace dear Ernest, you suffered way too much.

http://www.timesleader.com/mld/timesleader/12690628.htm