As promised, here's the pileated woodpecker I successfully stalked last weekend at Fall Creek Falls. It's the best picture I've gotten of one of these birds so far.
Have a great weekend and get your critter fix over on the Friday Ark!
Have a great weekend and get your critter fix over on the Friday Ark!

4 comments:
nice! that's one amazing critter.
Nice capture. I've only seen Red-bellied http://www.ncbirds.com/BirdImages/prints/RBWoodpecker_D110.jpg
and Red-headed http://www.birdsofcorpuschristi.com/albums/woodpeckers/Redheaded_Woodpecker.jpg
in our area.
I think I've seen a pileated in st. elmo, but only once or twice. they're so big you cant miss em, not to mention the squawk.
We've got a pair of pileated woodpeckers here in my neighborhood (Stuart Heights) in North Chattanooga. They're long-term residents -- last spring I saw them with a youngster (I couldn't get my camera out quick enough for a beautiful shot of all three of them together!), but also notoriously camera shy, so I've never gotten a really good picture of them. They favor a telephone pole near my house as a perch (here's the male) and generally seem to enjoy the very tall, mature trees we have here (I think this neightborhood dates back to the 1950s). I would think St. Elmo would be a nice setting for them as well -- there's plenty of strong old trees and some thickly wooded areas. I love to go birding in the cemetery over there...
Post a Comment