Sunday, March 5, 2006

Morning Flight

I'm back home (and not at all ready for the impending Monday!). Below is a picture from early this morning of some geese skimming along the lake in the distance.

I did make it out for another walk this morning. I took a more popular route into the woods than yesterday's outings and it was another beautiful day, so I passed a number of people but not a lot of critters. I think in order to see a lot of wildlife, I need to stay off the beaten path. I did see evidence of all sorts of creatures -- there were skinny trees chewed down to their peaked stems by the lake's beavers and plenty of trees like this one, with telltale signs of woodpeckers -- both round holes and the tall, rounded rectangles that are the signature of my friend, the pileated woodpecker. It was a wonderful weekend and, since I couldn't make it to the big shindig up in western NY, a nice way to spend my nephew's birthday!

1 comment:

chad edwards said...

Pileated Woodpeckers, do you suppose?



I got a woodpecker house close to woods that's been there for three years now, but so far no takers. Someone told me they wouldn't move into a house where a hole was already available.



Have read about the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker that is making a comeback in Arkansas?