Today marks six years since the last time I smoked a cigarette. I almost missed the date because I seriously don't ever even think about smoking at all anymore. It feels good.
18 comments:
Lucy
said...
Excellent! I am not sure when my last one was but I know it was at least 6 years too. I am thinking 7 or 8. I pretty much never want one anymore and it disgusts me when I get a whiff of someone's 2nd hand smoke. I only had one wistful moment when I was at a bonfire this spring - I did used to like a cigarette when sitting round a campfire after a day of backpacking...ironic, eh?
Lucy, I don't mind the smell of second hand smoke as long as it's fresh. I don't like the smell that settles on people, though. There are aspects of smoking that I do still miss (the social stuff, like your bonfire moment), but I definitely do not miss the way that smoking made me feel, which is why I'm not tempted to go back. My husband and I joke, though, about running to the 7-11 during the apocalypse (for a pack of no-consequence smokes, of course!).
Congrats. I quit in '79. Took about 6 years to quit dreaming about smoking. Did you ever notice how the one date any one is sure to remember is when they quit smoking?
Tak -- I only dreamed about smoking for the first 6 months/year or so. I like to remember the date, though, because it's a good excuse to celebrate with a little gift to myself. But you just reminded me of a story...
I used to get my car fixed by this guy named Earl. This was back a long time ago, and one day I pulled out a cigarette while I was waiting for my car and offered Earl one. He said, "thanks, but I'm trying to quit." So, trying to be supportive and encouraging, I responded, "oh, that's great! How long has it been?" and he deadpanned, "oh, about twenty years, so far."
No matter how long it's been, you're always just one smoke away from riding that horse all over again...
Keera, thanks... yea, there are parts to remember and parts to forget...
Heh. It was our quiet little code word for "you wanna go out for a smoke?" That's one of the things I miss about smoking -- that feeling that you're part of a small club (it's shrinking by the moment!).
Alice - funny how just after this post I had a moment of "truth". I was at a very nice B&B in Rhode Island this weekend in an old house with all sorts of sitting rooms and porches and terraces. I discovered a nice little screen porch with some comfy couches and done up as a cozy little sitting area....then I saw an ashtray with a cigar butt (gross!!) on the end table and another ashtray with a pack of smokes and lighter laid out casually next to it. I realized I had found the smoking area, and whether those were left there on purpose or by accident, I had a opportunity to try one out for old times sake...no one would ever know...but honestly, my reaction was BLECCHHH. No thanks.
Lucy, you live on the edge! I wouldn't have the guts to even take a drag (for fear of backsliding!) without some serious weapons systems headed for Tennessee. Congrats on finding out that you are truly post-smoker!!! (hoisting a beverage in your honor!)
Keep trying! I had lots of attempts and slipped up plenty, but finally stuck with one. You'll get there if you keep stabbing away at it -- eventually something will just click and you'll be able to get over the hump...
Thanks and cheers! Not sure if I was clear (or that it matters!) but I did not actually light one or take a drag...didn't need to.
Just being able to know that I had the opportunity and no one to know about it but myself, and then STILL did not even try one...that was a victory for me. Was a time I probably would have had one just because I could.
Lucy, is that the first time you've stood up to direct temptation? I quit several years before my husband did, so I grappled with it on a daily basis while I was quitting. He's since quit too, though, so the tests are fewer and father between. It's always good to find out you can let it go... nice job!!!
Way to go, Alice. I smoked for ten years and tried to quit over and over before finally doing so about nine or so years ago. I CANNOT tolerate smoke at all now. It makes me get all bitchy and retching and judgemental.
18 comments:
Excellent! I am not sure when my last one was but I know it was at least 6 years too. I am thinking 7 or 8. I pretty much never want one anymore and it disgusts me when I get a whiff of someone's 2nd hand smoke. I only had one wistful moment when I was at a bonfire this spring - I did used to like a cigarette when sitting round a campfire after a day of backpacking...ironic, eh?
But good on you for staying quit!!
Way to go!
Thanks, June!
Lucy, I don't mind the smell of second hand smoke as long as it's fresh. I don't like the smell that settles on people, though. There are aspects of smoking that I do still miss (the social stuff, like your bonfire moment), but I definitely do not miss the way that smoking made me feel, which is why I'm not tempted to go back. My husband and I joke, though, about running to the 7-11 during the apocalypse (for a pack of no-consequence smokes, of course!).
Congrats. I quit in '79. Took about 6 years to quit dreaming about smoking. Did you ever notice how the one date any one is sure to remember is when they quit smoking?
Congrats! A nice anniversary to forget. :-)
Tak -- I only dreamed about smoking for the first 6 months/year or so. I like to remember the date, though, because it's a good excuse to celebrate with a little gift to myself. But you just reminded me of a story...
I used to get my car fixed by this guy named Earl. This was back a long time ago, and one day I pulled out a cigarette while I was waiting for my car and offered Earl one. He said, "thanks, but I'm trying to quit." So, trying to be supportive and encouraging, I responded, "oh, that's great! How long has it been?" and he deadpanned, "oh, about twenty years, so far."
No matter how long it's been, you're always just one smoke away from riding that horse all over again...
Keera, thanks... yea, there are parts to remember and parts to forget...
Don't miss the smoking, but do miss the "humina humina" and slipping away.
Oh, crap. Now I want a cigarette. ;-D Humina humina... (j/k)
Hey, well done, Alice. I wish I could say the same thing, but I slipped up a year ago and have about six months now.
humina humina?
Very good. You've added *years* to your life, much to all your friends' delight!
Heh. It was our quiet little code word for "you wanna go out for a smoke?" That's one of the things I miss about smoking -- that feeling that you're part of a small club (it's shrinking by the moment!).
Alice - funny how just after this post I had a moment of "truth". I was at a very nice B&B in Rhode Island this weekend in an old house with all sorts of sitting rooms and porches and terraces. I discovered a nice little screen porch with some comfy couches and done up as a cozy little sitting area....then I saw an ashtray with a cigar butt (gross!!) on the end table and another ashtray with a pack of smokes and lighter laid out casually next to it. I realized I had found the smoking area, and whether those were left there on purpose or by accident, I had a opportunity to try one out for old times sake...no one would ever know...but honestly, my reaction was BLECCHHH. No thanks.
It was a good realization. BIG SMILE.
Lucy, you live on the edge! I wouldn't have the guts to even take a drag (for fear of backsliding!) without some serious weapons systems headed for Tennessee. Congrats on finding out that you are truly post-smoker!!! (hoisting a beverage in your honor!)
Free Man,
Keep trying! I had lots of attempts and slipped up plenty, but finally stuck with one. You'll get there if you keep stabbing away at it -- eventually something will just click and you'll be able to get over the hump...
Thanks and cheers! Not sure if I was clear (or that it matters!) but I did not actually light one or take a drag...didn't need to.
Just being able to know that I had the opportunity and no one to know about it but myself, and then STILL did not even try one...that was a victory for me. Was a time I probably would have had one just because I could.
Congratulations to us ALL!
Lucy, is that the first time you've stood up to direct temptation? I quit several years before my husband did, so I grappled with it on a daily basis while I was quitting. He's since quit too, though, so the tests are fewer and father between. It's always good to find out you can let it go... nice job!!!
Way to go, Alice. I smoked for ten years and tried to quit over and over before finally doing so about nine or so years ago. I CANNOT tolerate smoke at all now. It makes me get all bitchy and retching and judgemental.
I love this product! Will there be anything more in the line coming out soon?
Post a Comment