Saturday, August 20, 2005

Watauga and the Smokies

It was a hot, humid, hazy day as we drove back from Boone yesterday -- definitely the kind of weather that gave the Great Smoky Mountains their name. We stopped at one of the scenic overlooks for this picture, so it's probably not very unique -- more like a classic. The water you see is the lake formed by the dam in the Watauga River. We encountered the river and lake on several occasions along the drive, and passed three or four beautiful marinas, as it's a huge body of water. The countryside is beautiful and the mountains breathtaking... I'm really looking forward to another trip through the area. Hopefully, next time we'll leave early enough to be able to make stops along the way.

7 comments:

Joe P. said...

I moved to Elizabethton for my last year of high school and they took me to Watagua -- I have never seen such blue blue water. We did some tests dropping black and white wooden circle on a rope to measure just how far down we could see -- it was an outrageous number.

They have some very good marinas, if memory serves, and all surrounded by those beatuful mountains. The Appalachian Trail ran along one ridge above the lake and was my favorite place to go.

alice said...

Ah, yes... I'm familiar with ElizaBETHton. ;-) The first time I drove to Boone from Chattanooga, I got stopped for speeding there -- and then John Paul Mathas dragged me back up there for traffic school. ;-P Hopefully, the rest of my visits to the area will be more enjoyable... appreciating all the things you mention, for example...

F-Stop said...

It's a nice picture, though. What kind of camera are you using? Curious photographer, here.

Joe P. said...

It only took a few days for me to learn about the dangers of encountering the Law in Carter Co. Had us all spooked! Like being in Texas or somethin'.

alice said...

f-stop, I'm using a great entry-level camera that I bought a few years ago (the FugiFilm FinePix S5000 -- an earlier version of this: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/specs/Fujifilm/fuji_finepixs5100z.asp camera) while I save up for an SLR.



Joe, I have to admit, the ticket worked -- I'll be driving at a very moderate speed whenever I go through Carter Co. from here on out. It is a bit of a speed trap -- I wonder if they're using that stretch of highway to generate revenue?

Joe P. said...

East Tn is notorious for speed traps. A few years ago Triple-A posted a warning about speed-traps here in Morristown. The local PD had an unmarked "undercover" car to chase speeders which they since claimed to have stopped using. Not sure if the South is any worse, as getting a once-over by the local Law is an ancient way to raise money!! I bought a pick-up a few years ago and have not been stopped since --

What part of Chattanooga is home for ya? My family all started around there -- some still live in Hixson, Red Bank, nearby Jasper, etc etc.

alice said...

Cops like pickups, huh? I currently live in North Chattanooga (the non-gentrified part, up toward Hixson), not far from Red Bank. There are some nice old neighborhoods off of what people around here call the "s-curves" -- the snaking section of Hixson Pike that some people think should be straightened out...